RE: potentialAction for Classes?

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:06 AM, Jason Douglas wrote:
> You can do that.  The movie review site example toward the end of the
> announcement spec is an example:
>
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/images/1/10/PotentialActionsApril11.pdf

IMHO this is different. It defines an "endpoint" which is able to process ReviewActions. This is not the same as allowing bugs to be marked as being resolved by modifying their state.

> The challenge is that not all bugs are resolvable.  Only bugs from the
> same database that exist and are open.  That's why it's generally
> simpler to state on the bug itself what actions it supports.  For
> example, when I resolve the bug, you can return that it's no longer
> resolvable but is no re-openable.

True.. but introducing a (proprietary) subclass like ResolvableBug and associating the action to that class is very cheap.

> One way to strike a better balance is to only refer to the action
> specifics (including its EntryPoint, etc.) by reference on the bug
> instances.  Then you're only saying the supported actions and not
> repeating the action metadata.  You're limiting to processors that can
> fully dereference objects and re-compose the graph LOD-style, though.
> Some are limited to one page at a time.

Yeah, that's also a quite elegant solution but unfortunately it doesn't really work with the current design as the EntryPoint is associated to the action and not vice-versa. When you implement a RESTful Web API you want to modify the bug by POSTing/PUTing to its URL and not to the URL of some other resource (EntryPoint).

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler