Re: schema.org markup for a translated CreativeWork?

Hi:

That's an interesting task you have, particularly as Anime is likely to be one
of the more difficult kinds of TV creative works to set up.  However, the
problem of variant works pops up a lot in movies, where there may be preview
versions, festival versions, an original release version, a director's cut,
dubbed versions, subtitled versions, edited versions, and censored versions,
let alone versions created later, such as colourized versions :-(, anniversary
versions, and so on.  Most of the above attributes can be combined, and with
current technology a single video track can be combined with multiple audio
tracks and subtitles.  All this complexity may not matter when you are asking
"Who starred in Gone With the Wind?", but does matter in lots of cases, for
example if you are trying to figure out how long the movie you want to watch
is or who is speaking at a particular time.

So do you want to do something that is going to work in the simple cases (and
maybe fail badly in other cases)?  If so, go with your second option, even
though the markup is confusing as to what the meaning of the language property
is.  (Is it the language that the performer was speaking during his/her/its
performance?  Is it the language that the performer was speaking on the
original release version?  Or is it the something to tie the performance to a
particular version of the work, as you intend.)  If you need something that
can handle the non-simple cases, however, as you say, you will need to have
multiple versions of video creative works and some way to relate them
together.  Absent some much more powerful representation language, I don't see
that anything significantly different is reasonable.

Whether either of these approaches fit into schema.org is a separate question.
  I'm quite sure that in either approach you will need to use properties that
are not in schema.org.

Anyway, good luck!

Peter F. Patel-Schneider

PS:  Some of the above is the result of a significant attempt to provide a
conversational interface to an old system that takes an extreme version of the
versioning approach.

PPS:  I noticed that hummingbird.me does not appear to be usable at all
without logging in.  Boo!