Re: What is schema.org? A technical briefing paper

On 05/06/2014 22:04, Jarno van Driel wrote:

>     "...There are mechanisms for jumping out of the nested hierarchy,
>     for example the itemref property in microdata allows links to be
>     made between items described in separate sections on a webpage is
>     supported within schema.org..."
>
> In regards to this:
> Microdata's @itemid (global identifier) is now supported by Google.
> Both Google's Webmaster Tools and Structured Data Testing Tool show
> the proper data being extracted. @itemref stills generates duplicate
> instances of data in the graph. By referring to an @itemid instead of
> using @itemref you no longer have all the duplicates. (all be it
> @itemid and @itemref can't always be swopped as they are different
> beasts and work differently)

Thanks Jarno, that's interesting and very useful to know.

Just before the bit you quote the briefing says
> "Provided an item (in this case the person who made the contribution
> or their affiliation) is uniquely identified a search application may
> aggregate information about that item from several sources"
which I think covers itemid (I didn't mention it explicitly because I
didn't want to go anywhere near the difference between @itemid and
schema.org's url property. yes, I know, I'm a lightweight).

There's clearly more that could be said about @itemid and @itemref and
demerging the information graph from the constraints of the webpage, and
nuances that could be better expressed, but I'm not sure there is
anything in briefing about this that is wrong. So I treat this as an
accepted "suggested improvement" rather than a "must fix bug".

Phil

--
Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil

Ubuntu: http://xkcd.com/456/
not so much an operating system as a learning opportunity.

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.