Re: http://schema.org/CreativeWork: headline and name properties?

Am 27.01.2014 16:21, schrieb Dan Scott:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Wallis,Richard
> <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org <mailto:Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 26 Jan 2014, at 08:06, Dan Scott <dan@coffeecode.net
>     <mailto:dan@coffeecode.net>> wrote:
>
>>     * That said, the desire to disambiguate multi-type situations is
>>     effectively why schemabibex proposed
>>     PublicationVolume/volumeNumber instead of just relying on "name":
>>     given that one of our scenarios is the combination of Book +
>>     PublicationVolume, we needed a way to disambiguate the book title
>>     from the volume name.
>
>     I think this pragmatic use of Type specific [additional] naming
>     properties in sub-types is a way forward. The headline property
>     would probably sit better in the NewsArtice sub-type than at the
>     generic CreativeWork level.
>

> _If_ they stick around, then I agree that headline / alternateHeadline
> should indeed get pushed down in the hierarchy... but given that we
> have name/alternateName at the Thing level, I would *really* like to
> see a concrete example of where a tertiary and quaternary level of
> specificity are necessary. It seems like one primary name + (repeated,
> if necessary) alternateName properties should be sufficient.
>
> Publishers? *tap tap tap* Examples, please! :)
Hello Dan,

looking at some of the news providers that include markup (just picking
random news entries)

  * BBC News
      o i.e. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25917101
  * The Guardian
      o i.e
        http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/27/vince-cable-george-osborne-economic-recovery

  * Le Figaro
      o i.e.
        http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2014/01/29/01016-20140129ARTFIG00472-quelque-650000-euros-retrouves-en-liquide-chez-dieudonne.php

they use schema.org annotations as below:

  * BBC uses "schema:headline" for article title and
    "schema:description" for the article lead
  * Guardian uses "schema:name" and "schema:headline" together for
    article title and "schema:description" for the lead
  * Le Figaro uses "schema:headline" for article title and
    "schema:about" for the article lead

"schema:articleBody" is only marked up by Le Figaro.

These values habe been retrieved using our microdata extractor form at
http://getschema.org/index.php/Main_Page#Microdata2RDF_Service

Should we conclude that "schema:headline" has to be used for article
title and "schema:description" for article lead?
(I'm guiding myself from wikipedia news article definition at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_article)

Regards
Matthias Tylkowski

--