Re: Representing a radio broadcasting format and frequency

On 28 January 2014 21:16, François Scharffe <francois.scharffe@lirmm.fr> wrote:
> Thank you Thad, I will try that.
>
> ... which actually lead me to a more general question: I understand that
> schema.org functions more like a standardization body while Freebase schemas
> are edited by the community more in a Wikipedia fashion. This results in
> schema.org being cleaner, having less redundancy, and usually there is only
> one way to model one thing. Now if I project myself in a close future I can
> see that my radio station will publish its info on its own website using
> schema.org. That data will be harvested by crawlers and then get back to the
> public, maybe automatically written to Freebase or Wikidata. If this
> scenario makes sense schema.org and Freebase schemas will slowly converge,
> or said differently schema.org will evolve to be able cover all the domains
> in Freebase. Is it a plausible scenario ?

I won't comment on specific product plans at Google, but broadly I
think these are not too far fetched as possible scenarios.  Schema.org
will continue to evolve, and there is plenty to learn from Freebase
but any schema convergence would best happen here, organically via
community discussion. Regarding schema.org scope, when Freebase was
created, Wikidata didn't exist. Thanks to Freebase, DBpedia, Semantic
mediawiki and other initiatives showing the way, the larger Wikipedia
community is starting to engage with structured data. My hope is that
in some way we'll all "meet in the middle". It is not plausible for
schema.org to have types to cover everything. As an example,
http://schema.org/PlaceOfWorship has six subtypes for a few well known
religions, but leaving many missing. I hope as Wikidata matures, it
will cover more of the longer tail for such things, perhaps often
grounded in more general types defined at schema.org.

Dan