Re: Multi-typed Entities in schema.org; was: Re: makesOffer should accept Service

On 8 January 2014 09:48, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org> wrote:
> On 01/08/2014 08:01 AM, Martin Hepp wrote:
>>
>> Dear Jarno, Karen, all:
>>
>> I think I did not say this explicit: From a conceptual level, I strongly
>> recommend to use a "multi-type" approach that combines two or more
>> schema.org types for such cases. Unfortunately, the current support at the
>> search engine level for multi-typed entities is not flawless.
>>
>> What this means is that:
>>
>> 1. The given examples and direction are generally correct.
>> 2. They may not work immediately in current client projects.
>> 3. Google and the other sponsors of schema.org should make fixing support
>> for multi-typed entities in Microdata, RDFa, and JSON-LD a priority, both in
>> validators and operational systems.
>> 4. We should rather wait for #3 instead of blowing up schema.org with
>> conceptual elements for a tentative fix. After all, the cost of deprecating
>> or changing elements in schema.org is high in terms of confusion.
>
> How can we contribute to #3? Maybe we could collaboratively create a page on
> our wiki listing very particular examples with.
>
> * markup in JSON-LD, RDFa and Microdata
> * comments on our motivation and expectations in using those particular
> structures
> * matrix with ranking of current support among tools which try to support
> schema.org

Yes please! Simple motivating test cases linked from webschemas wiki
would be useful.

There are two important cases w.r.t. schema.org: (i) multiple
schema.org types (ii) combination of schema.org and types from
elsewhere.

There's a related issue around the miniskos discussion, which is how
to use externally enumerated sets of categories (which might not best
be modeled using types), e.g. food cuisines. But we can cover that
separately.

Note also that anything below LocalBusiness already counts as both a
Place and an Organization.

cheers,

Dan