Re: Whither the schema.org JSON-LD context?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:14:01 +0000
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@hawke.org>
Cc: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, Ramanathan Guha <guha@google.com>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>, Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
On 7 January 2014 02:03, Sandro Hawke <sandro@hawke.org> wrote:

> There's a kind of natural feedback loop here that if schema.org starts to
> get overloaded and slow, clients will have more motivation to cache.
> Perhaps that's the solution to the many-people-on-one-IP-address; rather
> than giving a 429, just de-prioritize or temporarily tar-pit folks asking
> too fast.   It would sure be nice if there was a way to give an error
> message, or at least know who to contact.   I bet user-agent fields are not
> set very well in general....

I'm going to ignore the remarks about controlling data on the Web, and
focus on the fact that this sounds like a giant science experiment.

How about if content-negotiated requests for the json-ld version of
schema.org's homepage had a 60 second (or so) pause built-in? That
ought to be annoying enough to encourage better use of caching and
avoidance of fresh fetches within tight code loops.

BTW is a redirect URL a legitimate response to such a request, or does
the JSON have to be returned directly?