Re: VisualArtwork Schema proposal reprise

Paul, can you say a bit more about use cases? You use the Mona Lisa as
an example, and I can think of different situations where one might
describe a particular painting:

- an instructional site on art history
- a museum site, stating what they have on display
- an auction house listing what they have for sale

Those refer to the original. Would you also use this schema for:

- an online site that sells reproductions of art works (posters, coffee
cups with the art on it, etc.)
- an art criticism text that speaks about the painting

I heartily agree that the creation of separate classes for each type of
visual resource does not scale, so gathering them into a single class
with an open-ended ability to define types makes much more sense.

BTW, the library standard calls this "non-projected graphic" (we aren't
known for our user-friendly terminology) and you can see a list of the
types and materials here:

http://loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd007k.html

I don't recommend following the library practice, just that I think it
supports your approach.

kc

--
Karen Coyle