Re: progressing VisualArtwork

On 19 August 2014 00:08, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
> As Paul Watson patiently points out, we're nearly done with the
> "culture bundle" sketched back in April,
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Apr/0051.html
>
> http://schema.org/workPerformed and with
> http://schema.org/docs/releases.html#v1.9 periodicals and workExample
> are now merged into the main site. Improving the description of visual
> works is the last piece of the puzzle.
>
> So, yes, let's try to wrap this up for VisualArtwork.

aka https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/VisualArtwork - I've updated it
to point to this thread.

earlier discussion of open issues,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2013May/0092.html

>  I've just updated the old RDFS config, moving it from W3C Mercurial
> into a github branch,
> https://github.com/danbri/schemaorg/tree/sdo-visualwork
> https://github.com/danbri/schemaorg/blob/sdo-visualwork/data/schema.rdfa#L10199
>
> I've copied the three RDFa examples in from wiki:
> https://github.com/danbri/schemaorg/blob/sdo-visualwork/data/sdo-visualartwork-examples.txt
>
> ... and updated the (now AppEngine-based) test site:
> http://sdo-culture-bundle.appspot.com/VisualArtwork
>
> This test build looks good so far. Here's what I see as obviously outstanding:
>
> 1. conversion of the examples to RDFa and Microdata, and fabrication of a
> "pre markup" simple HTML version.

Sorry, I meant to write JSON-LD - we already have RDFa examples. I plead jetlag!

> 2. artEdition
>
> Looking at the RDFS from last time I see I didn't create an artEdition
> property, in hope we could generalise it.
>
> Here's the definition from the Wiki,
>
> "The number of copies when multiple copies of a piece of artwork are
> produced - e.g. for a limited edition of 20 prints, 'artEdition'
> refers to the total number of copies (in this example "20")."
>
> And the example (which assumes the property exists),
>
> "<span property="artform">Print</span> from <time
> property="dateCreated" datetime="1962">1962</time> by Pablo Picasso.
> Numbered from the edition of <span property="artEdition">50</span>,
> each signed by the artist in pencil, lower right: Picasso.</p>"
>
> To what extent is this concept art-specific? Are similar counts used
> for other kinds of CreativeWork?

When we last discussed this, Paul suggested: "To avoid confusion with
the edition of a book, journal, etc we could change the property name
for the VisualArtwork type to editionSize to match the CDWA term?"
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2013May/0092.html
... that looks like a good idea to me. Any thoughts from
bibliographiticians?

3. What does this mean for the existing Photograph type? "So my
proposal is for the 'VisualArtwork' Type to be used instead of
"Painting" or "Sculpture", and instead of "Photograph"" --- how do we
express this on the site? Should we make the new properties available
on Photograph too?

4. Comics, another long-in-progress area. Many aspects of describing
comics are addressed by periodicals. But comics are also quite
naturally visual artworks. See recent comics-as-periodicals thread,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Aug/0169.html

Specifically would it make sense for a single thing to be considered
simultaneously a ComicIssue per
http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Periodicals_and_Comics_synthesis
draft, and yet also a VisualArtwork? Here's an example from the comic
discussion in periodicals wiki:

property="name">TRUE BLOOD</span>
town of Bon Temps... in a world where vampires have emerged from the
coffin and no longer need humans for their fix.</div>
property="name">IDW</span> (<a property="url"
href="http://www.idwpublishing.com">http://www.idwpublishing.com</a>)</div>
   <ul>
     <li property="hasPart" typeof="ComicIssue">Issue <span
property="issueNumber">13</span>
property="name">Michael McMillian</span></div>
property="name">Beni Lobel</span></div>
property="name">Esther Sanz</span></div>
property="name">Michael Gaydos</span></div>
property="name">Neil Uyetake</span></div>
property="name">Beni Lobel</span></div>
content="2013-05">May 2013</div>
           Amy's sudden ability to go out in the daylight, but does
           his best not to think about it.
     </li>
   </ul>

Could this ComicIssue (issue 13) usefully have VisualArtwork properties?

While we're at it, how would it look from an e-commerce perspective?
http://store.hbo.com/true-blood-comic-issue-13/detail.php?p=444005
--- not entirely hypothetical, since that page has schema.org markup,
see http://any23.org/any23/?format=ntriples&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.hbo.com%2Ftrue-blood-comic-issue-13%2Fdetail.php%3Fp%3D444005&validation-mode=none

I've a feeling we discussed this before but I couldn't find it in the
mailing list archive: do we consider the entire issue an artwork, or
just each page? I think we'd want to allow both levels of detail, and
we have everything that's needed for doing so. We now have isPartOf /
hasPart to use when multiple creative work entities also compose a
whole. And in the VisualArtwork design we can also indicate component
materials, e.g.
https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/VisualArtwork#Multiple_materials
describes the materials that make up Tracy Emin's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bed

Dan