Re: [a11y-metadata-project] Reminder of accessibility metadata call coming up in an hour (9:00 AM PDT)

My comments...

Charles Nevile ...
Charles raised the question of whether these attributes are a
declaration of conformance (as in alternativeText means that "all of
the photographs and other media have alternate text") or just whether
the author of the content (or adapted version of the content) used
alternate text on the significant parts of the content to the best of
their abilities. The intent of these are the latter. Since this
metadata is being added by people who care about accessibility, we
have to trust that they will apply their best efforts before they'd
add the attribute.

It has long been a tradition in the DC world of metadata to assume
that people have good intentions - they don't always, but those who do
make it worthwhile trusting...

then there is a discussion about mediaFeature.... I am developing some
fairly strong feelings baout this. First, I don't think 'mediaFeature'
is anything like as good a name as accessFeature ' given that we are
mostly describing things that are done to increase accessibility - and
we have accessMode...  Then Jutta wanted us to add in 'adaptation' or
the equivalnet. I think that a feature implies something special but
taking Jutta's position it might be better to have them called
accessAdaptation - ie for things like captions etc??? Certainly I
would not want both feature and adaptation in a single name - that
would be introducing redundancy, I think...

Next, I think the idea that we should label things because someone
tried to fix it is absurd - to be honest. We are asking people to make
assertions about the resource, or their needs, not to tell us how nice
they are. An assertion, made in good faith, should mean that something
has been achieved - eg alt tags for all images, etc ....

Next, I want us to be clear about accessMode. As Charles Nevile and I
understand it, this will be a set of assertions that tell us what is
the minimum complete set of accessModes that will convey all the
content of a resource. So we might get visual + text, visual + audio,
text, etc ... ie more than one statement. This can be done and it
involves a trick - generally the value of RDF means that if I make an
assertion and then you add another, both bits of info can be put
together to make a richer statement. In this case, we certainly do not
want that to happen! In RDF the merging of statements can be avoided
by using what is known as a 'blank node'.
I am writing all this because I think  both being clear about the use
of accessMode and knowing that it will work is really important :-)