Re: SKOS for schema.org proposal for discussion

On 10/7/13 3:20 PM, Stéphane Corlosquet wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com
> <mailto:thadguidry@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     As someone who is brand new to SKOS (in the last 8 months or so)..
>     I will give you my personal opinion, which is in agreement with
>     Jean-Pierre...
>

> Do you represent the audience that schema.org <http://schema.org> is
> after? From what I know about you (mostly from this mailing list) I
> think you have more knowledge and interest about KR than the average
> developer :) especially being a freebase contributor. Is "SKOS" that
> popular among web developers who build blog sites or e-commerce site?
> I don't think so. IMO, "SkosConcept" will look too esoteric to be used
> by regular site builders/developers, unless they really care to look
> for the definition of SKOS on wikipedia (something most people won't do).
>
> What do people think of what Martin suggested earlier:
> TerminologyConcept? Or simply Topic? Topic is a bit more restrictive,
> but I think is more appealing/intuitive for newbies than SkosConcept.
>
> Steph.
>

>     I want to see SkosConcept in Schema.org "as-is".  I have never
>     been confused about the meaning of it, once I read the initial
>     description on Wikipedia about SkosConcept.
>
>     Why does the proposal even suggest a "mapping" ?  Why not just use
>     the same label on both sides ?  "SkosConcept" = "skos:Concept"
>
>     In Freebase, we decided to use a mapping where we have a our
>     existing topics Typed as a "Vocabulary Equivalent Topic" that are
>     mapped to "Equivalent SKOS Concepts" ... like the Topic of
>     "Painting" that is a form of Artwork that has a Broader Concept of
>     "Graphic arts" so:
>     https://www.freebase.com/m/05qdh#/base/skosbase/vocabulary_equivalent_topic
>
>     Before, we just had the label as "Equivalent Topic" ... and it
>     didn't make sense... It was very confusing to me and others and I
>     didn't know on one end if I was still looking at the SKOS
>     Concept... or the Equivalent Topic for something else or another
>     Domain Equivalent Topic.  We ultimately decided to make it less
>     confusing and we renamed to use the term "Equivalent SKOS
>     Concept".. because as Jean-Pierre notes, that SKOS Concept already
>     had the full intended meaning and was already simple and well
>     defined and used in the World Wide Web.
>
>     So, I think Guha has a concern, but I do not share his concern,
>     even as someone who is just newly exposed to SKOS.
>
>     --
>     -Thad
>     Thad on Freebase.com <http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry>
>     Thad on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>
>

> --
> Steph.

+1 for Topic .

End-users see Tags (in the early days of blogging), Hashtags (following
Twitter ubiquity) as mechanisms for denoting (naming or "referring to")
Topics. This has been the case for a very long time.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO