Re: new itemscope or not?

My understanding is that schema:url is intended to be equivalent to foaf:page. Note that schema.org aims at typical Web developers, and IMO, for them "url" may be a very appropriate name for a property that holds the URL (sic!) of a Web resource related to the entity.

Even in the bizarre world of the Pedantic Web Group, the name url for the property should be fine, because all valid values for this properties will be URLs in the sense of URIs that serve as locators for representations. The usage of "url" does not imply that it has to be the URL of the representation of the subject entity. It can also be the URL of a representation that describes the entity.

So

may be an acceptable wording for the property for broad audiences.

PS: If you refer to rdfs:seeAlso with see also in

> Or in other words: "url" means something rather general: "There is a web document related to the resource that can be retrieved at this url." Essentially its just a "see also" to a document on the web.

then it should be noted that the valid range for rdfs:seeAlso is arguably limited to RDF representations, see the lengthy thread that started with this email:

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Jan/0022.html

Also, see

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Jan/0115.html

for the conclusion.