From:   Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
To:     Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
Cc:     Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>, "public-vision-newstd@w3.org"
<public-vision-newstd@w3.org>
Date:   06/21/2010 12:54 PM
Subject:        Re: First pass at use cases for "new standards" task force
Sent by:        public-vision-newstd-request@w3.org

On 21 Jun 2010, at 1:59 PM, Michael Champion wrote:

> +1 to [FastTrack] ...

I have merged FastTrack and Rubberstamp. I like FastTrack as a title
better. The difference seemed mostly to be "was at one time in W3C"

> I'm not sure if [Competition] is a use case or just a possible
> attribute of any of the use cases.
>
> Likewise, isn't [Ontology] just one of the types of outputs that
> could come out of any of the use cases?  People might want to
> develop a web standard ontology, develop one that competes with a
> W3C standard, brainstorm about a possible new ontology, create a
> profile of an existing ontology, rubberstamp or fast track a de
> facto standard one ...

The key to this use case is that the ontology is vertical; I've added
"vertical" to the wiki. In that sense, it's closest to Profile.

To your point, though: This is an attempt to write down things we've
heard. If it's possible to boil the list down to 3 (with some being
variants, etc.) then they may tell us directly which three processes
we need.

  - Ian