Re: First pass at use cases for "new standards" task force

On 21 Jun 2010, at 4:47 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> I'm interested in the list of use cases, but they are only examples.
> Please
> remember Open Source Definition #6, No Discrimination Against Fields
> of
> Endeavor:
>
>    The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
>    in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict
>    the program from being used in a business, or from being used for
>    genetic research.
>
> You may want this New Standards Task Force to define use cases, but
> don't
> limit your imagination in any way. All use cases are allowed if we
> follow an
> open source model. There is simply no knowing in advance where a
> technology
> will take us.
>
> Incubation is for the early stages of a standard, when we know even
> less
> about the future than we do in official W3C standards activities. We
> want to
> encourage technology to evolve in a coordinated, cooperative and
> competitive
> way, without limits on how it is used.

Clarification: By "use cases" here I mean:

  * What services does W3C need to provide to its customers?

  Thus:

  * What processes?
  * What IPR policies?
  * What infrastructure?

And of course:

  * Which of these services are revenue-bearing directly?
  * What's the role of the staff?

And so on.

The use cases aren't about the product of any particular group, nor
about any licensing restrictions.

Having said that, I can imagine that a "lightweight process" would have:

  * a more open document license
  * a lightweight patent commitment (e.g., OWF non-assert scale)

So: what other legal/licensing questions should we be considering [for
a lightweight process]?

  _ Ian