Re: More Web-developed Open Protocols

I think another aspect to what is going on isn't a rejection of the W3C
(or any other standards group), but just a lack of familiarity on the part
of many developers with the standards process.  At the same time, they're
very familiar with Wikis and open source development and on-line forges,
so it's an easier step to saying, "hey, let's put a protocol together"
than it is to figure out how to do the same thing through a standards
organization when maybe none of them have ever participated in that
process.

In this type of situation, the answer is to try to show what the
differences are between the two processes by way of quality control, more
rapid and broader uptake due to reputation, promotional infrastructure and
consensus building expertise, and IPR management.

In short, it's still a marketing issue, but in many cases perhaps a
somewhat different marketing issue than supposed.

Andy.

http://ostatus.org/sites/default/files/ostatus-1.0-draft1-specification.html