Re: Merging git history for jws-2020

On 7/19/22 10:53 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Well… I have just created the vc-jws-2020 repository. Do you want to remove
> that one then in favour of a transferred repository? Or do you want to run
> them in parallel?

Looks like we have disagreement among the Editors on the appropriate course of
action here. We should discuss and get the WG/Editors to weigh in.

My suggestion is that the current path creates far more work (now and over the
long term) than necessary for the Editors, so we should optimize for the thing
that preserves the most history (including commits, issues, and PRs).

> For now, I would prefer to do a merge through some git magic (and be
> careful next time…).

Just doing a merge via git magic only pulls in the commits.

Someone will then have to go through every repo and manually transfer every
open issue, and cross-link those issues between the CCG repo and the WG
repo... and after that's done, we still lose history on all the closed issues
as well as the PR discussion history.

What is being proposed is more work, resulting in a lossy process that makes
everyone's job harder over time.

We don't need to make things harder on ourselves... let's just migrate the
repos in their entirety.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/