RE: Timed Text Authoring Format - Distribution Format Exchange Profile (DFXP) Streaming

See inline below.

  _____

From: Johnb@screen.subtitling.com [mailto:Johnb@screen.subtitling.com]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 5:27 AM
To: Glenn A. Adams; shayes@microsoft.com
Cc: public-tt@w3.org
Subject: RE: Timed Text Authoring Format - Distribution Format Exchange
Profile (DFXP) Streaming

Glenn,

Can you explain why you feel these properties are important to support
streaming?

"can be progressively encoded (i.e., does not require computing
subsequent data prior to sending current data);"

Surely this is just an encoder issue... An encoder can be assumed to
have the entire document available?

[GA] No. Not in general, e.g., a real-time feed.

This property may be a pre-requisite for forwarding (or transcoding) a
DFXP document.

"does not require dereferencing (and subsequent loading) of any
resources other than DFXP content (i.e., no embedded URIs);"

Is this just a timeliness issue?

[GA] No. Having to load any other resource may preclude direct streaming
through inline insertion, otherwise, any referenced resources would have
to be inlined and made availabe contemporaneously.

would presumably just delay the ability to decode subsequent timed
fragments. A stream decoder may then incur a 'one off' setup period
where referenced resources were dereferenced and loaded. Any timed
fragment in a streaming scenario would need to be sent some (short) time
in advance of its activation period(s) on the timebase.

"does not support alternative content forms (e.g., different language,
graphics formats, time bases) in a single document;"

Why would alternate content affect streaming if it was inline in the
stream/fragment?

[GA] It doesn't affect streamability per se, but does affect utility of
bit transmission; e.g., sending bits that will or may not be selected is
a waste of potentially precious bandwidth in certain transport
environments. Also, it affects buffering requirements, as one is
potentially forced to buffer the content of both (all) alternatives
before making determination of what to keep and what to throw away.

The main reason for this constraint has to do with keeping DFXP simple,
or at least simpler, than AFXP (where it is expected that alternative
content will be supported).

 I can appreciate that an alternate timebase **may** impact the temporal
order of fragments - and thus the stream transmission sequence.

"constrains content models to prevent arbitrary nested content
structures;"

As a complexity constraint or for some other reason?

[GA] Complexity and buffering.

regards John B