From: Roy T. Fielding
Sent: Thursday, August 31 2017, 2:50 am
To: Rob van Eijk
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: TPE latest

On Aug 30, 2017, at 6:45 AM, Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com <mailto:rob@blaeu.com> > wrote:

Moreover, Subsection 10.1 is redundant as it is already explained in subsection 5.2. Moreover, subsection 10.1 is not a privacy consideration as such. It has a clarifying function, which is already addressed in subsection 5.2.

Therefore, I suggest deleting subsection 10.1. (I made the remark on 21 August, URL: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2017Aug/0017.html).

And my response still stands: we are encountering implementations and
public statements that explicitly violate the protocol semantics of 5.2.

For example, my recently acquired XBOX ONE S web browser, which claims to be
Edge, just popped up the privacy dialog on first use this weekend and it had
sending of DNT:1 pre-selected for me.

I think that more than justifies a little redundancy in the spec, particularly
since section 10.1 doesn't just restate the requirements -- it explains their rationale
with regard to privacy considerations.

....Roy