Re: TPE latest

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 17:49:28 -0700
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com>
> On Aug 30, 2017, at 6:45 AM, Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com> wrote:
>
> Moreover, Subsection 10.1 is redundant as it is already explained in subsection 5.2. Moreover, subsection 10.1 is not a privacy consideration as such. It has a clarifying function, which is already addressed in subsection 5.2.
> Therefore, I suggest deleting subsection 10.1. (I made the remark on 21 August, URL: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2017Aug/0017.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2017Aug/0017.html>).

And my response still stands: we are encountering implementations and
public statements that explicitly violate the protocol semantics of 5.2.

For example, my recently acquired XBOX ONE S web browser, which claims to be
Edge, just popped up the privacy dialog on first use this weekend and it had
sending of DNT:1 pre-selected for me.

I think that more than justifies a little redundancy in the spec, particularly
since section 10.1 doesn't just restate the requirements -- it explains their rationale
with regard to privacy considerations.

....Roy