RE: Moving "C"onsent from Tracking Status to Permitted Use?

Hi JC,

OK my wording was a bit loose, but my point was that it does not let the
user stop the collection of data, and it defaults to opted-in. All these
opt-out models need cookies (choice.microsoft.com just sets a 1 year
persistent cookie named vickoptout=1) , and so people end up being reverted
to opted-in if they delete cookies. As they probably did that in order to
protect their privacy their wishes in those cases are being disregarded.

It is a nice page but I can see how it could be improved a lot by using the
DNT API. It should default to opted-out if DNT is set, and then use the
web-wide consent API if they opt-in. Once they opt-in you can cookies to
give them fine-grained control over ads as you do now.

Until the API is supported you could just set an opt-in cookie
(vickoptin=1?) and use that to override DNT - you could even respond with a
Tk: C header J. Then as browsers come in supporting the API you just use
that.

Around 10% of web requests that we see now have DNT set and about 60% of
them are IE so maybe MS should take a lead in honouring it?

Cheers

Mike