New text Issue 25: Aggregated data: collection and use for audience measurement research

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your comments and yes we agree that panel members are a form
of out of band consent and outside the scope of DNT.

As you know, we have proposed a very narrow case for audience measurement
research. Specific measures are described to limit access to and protect the
raw data whilst it is being stored for a limited period through
pseudonymisation and contractual measures. This case is also contingent on
data and aggregated reports not being used for other purposes and there
being no return path to particular individuals or devices.

We believe that these steps seek to be aligned with the underlying
principles set out by the Art. 29 WP that can be summarized as a)
pseudonymisation is an important approach to risk limitation and b) consent
forms one of a number of legal grounds for processing, which includes
legitimate interests.

We believe that audience measurement research can be regarded as a
legitimate interest as these impartial statistical measures promote trust in
the buying and selling of online advertising which is the model by which the
Internet remains free and accessible for all.

As I understand it, the Global Considerations Berlin meeting will discuss
how W3C DNT could work in the EU context where first and third parties are
expressed in different terms and the E Privacy law is interpreted
differently between member states. Such interpretations may even change eg
the Netherlands where it has been questioned if the explicit consent model
is meaningful in providing citizens with a fundamental right to privacy, and
thus is likely to transition to implied consent.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the meeting in person but we also
think it would not be useful to discuss a narrow and specific use case such
as audience measurement research as a test case in an environment where so
much needs to be clarified first.

Best regards

Kathy Joe,
ESOMAR.