From: Rigo Wenning [mailto:rigo@w3.org]
Sent: 16 October 2012 17:01
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Mike O'Neill
Subject: Re: FW: ACTION-267 - Propose first/third party definitions from
existing DAA documents

Mike,

I like that, but fear we open a can of worms that we thought was closed.
After talks to David W. in Amsterdam, I'm confirmed in my personal opinion
about 1st and 3rd parties (it's sufficient to look at the
monster-definitions to see that it's just an ugly compromise). For the
moment, I haven't seen somebody linking this discussion to a concrete issue.
If we want to open the question again, this has to be requested to the
chairs.

Note that the 'no-distinction' makes no difference to both regimes.
US default unset is as unaffected by the distinction as is EU treat like
DNT:1 as you are required to do so by law.

Nevertheless, the distinction has some merit. Counter arguments are:

 * A first party is not doing cross-site monitoring, so the risk for privacy
is lower
 * Trying to address all will also affect smaller sites. Most third parties
are real professional services and can afford the DNT complexity.
 * First party tracking is addressed by other means (the CNIL inquiry on
Google's change of privacy policy being one example for
this)
 * First parties MAY respect DNT and declare their compliance. They are not
forced to, but they aren't hindered either. (Although I think we do not have
a status value for that yet other than the disputed "N")

There are counter-counter arguments.

In short, I wonder how much Shane and Heather would howl if we re- open that
question. They may oppose it and the chairs too (because of timing)

Rigo