Re: FW: ACTION-267 - Propose first/third party definitions from existing DAA documents

Mike,

I like that, but fear we open a can of worms that we thought was
closed. After talks to David W. in Amsterdam, I'm confirmed in my
personal opinion about 1st and 3rd parties (it's sufficient to look
at the monster-definitions to see that it's just an ugly
compromise). For the moment, I haven't seen somebody linking this
discussion to a concrete issue. If we want to open the question
again, this has to be requested to the chairs.

Note that the 'no-distinction' makes no difference to both regimes.
US default unset is as unaffected by the distinction as is EU treat
like DNT:1 as you are required to do so by law.

Nevertheless, the distinction has some merit. Counter arguments are:

 * A first party is not doing cross-site monitoring, so the risk for
privacy is lower
 * Trying to address all will also affect smaller sites. Most third
parties are real professional services and can afford the DNT
complexity.
 * First party tracking is addressed by other means (the CNIL
inquiry on Google's change of privacy policy being one example for
this)
 * First parties MAY respect DNT and declare their compliance. They
are not forced to, but they aren't hindered either. (Although I
think we do not have a status value for that yet other than the
disputed "N")

There are counter-counter arguments.

In short, I wonder how much Shane and Heather would howl if we re-
open that question. They may oppose it and the chairs too (because
of timing)

Rigo