Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

Rigo,

If only...  We've been unable to develop a mechanism that works at scale and still allows Permitted Uses to operate as intended (aka - doesn't create significant business harm).

I love this as an aspirational goal going forward but for DNT to be implemented in the near-term, unique identifiers will need to continue to exist and instead we should keep our initial focus on use-based restrictions.

Avoiding valid legal requests (what you call 'Spooks') should NOT be a goal of DNT in my opinion.  If you don't like the law, then work to change the law - not develop technical standards to circumvent it.

Sent from Shane's mobile