Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

Mike:  Thanks for pointing out the Springer page and icon link, because it helps illustrate how ineffective the system has been designed.  When you click on the nearly invisible and vague icon at:  http://www.springerlink.com/content/vh9769lbpr09486c/?MUD=MP

You get sent to Google's Adsense AdChoices page.  When you read the description, you would never know about Google/Doubleclick data targeting practices.  Or the privacy issues involved.  It's a disconnect from what Google tells advertisers at such sites as:  http://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/insights/emea/

If you click on the AdChoices icon on that page you go to another Google page that doesn't relate:  http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185665

On the same Google page you can click on "Learn More" and go to a dense NAI page that also doesn't effectively convey the risks (  http://www.networkadvertising.org/consumer-education/education-resources

I could go on.  But it's a great case study on why AdChoices is so lacking.

Jeff

Jeffrey Chester
Center for Digital Democracy
1621 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 550