Re: Proposals for Compliance issue clean up

On 11/13/12 9:44 PM, Shane Wiley wrote:

> I was referring to ePrivacy in this context as we were speaking to
> 'consent' and it felt most applicable based on your reference.

The consent model of the ePrivacy Directive has a narrower meaning
because if focuses solely on cookies, under the presumption that cookies
are personal data. Since we're not going to repeat the sins of the
ePrivacy Directive in this WG, we're talking about data collection in a
much wider sense, therefore my reference to the DPD.

> so I thought you were moving with the discussion.  If this is an
> attempt to move the strict data controller perspective into the DNT
> standard, I believe you'd understand why many in the group would push
> back on that position.

I am aware of that, I've pointed out in my earlier mails why it won't
keep me from pointing out where it is a more sensible approach than
where the WG consensus for now seems to lie.

>  It is an important detail for EU
> implementations though, hence the creation of the Global
> Considerations document.

Yes, which I think is a necessity to give this specification something
of a chance of making sense.

Regards,

 Walter