Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

On 11/13/12 2:06 PM, Justin Brookman wrote:

> I leave it to others to opine as to whether it is even possible for all
> user agents to monitor all other user agents' configuration of DNT
> settings and confirm those choices with a user, but again it sounds
> burdensome and prescriptive.  Would that confirmation also require
> disclosure about the potential negative consequences of choosing to turn
> on DNT?

Despite the fact Justin is my boss, I want to emphasize and reiterate
that this (the proposed language from David) is not a good idea and
seems exceedingly prescriptive for UAs in this forum to have to
incorporate some nebulous "keep DNT signal honest" technical mechanism.
It should be about the protocol, the exchange, exceptions and what it
takes to be considered compliant.

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall