Re: Examples of successful opt-in implementations

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for the rapid respons. I see you are addressing three things. The
opinion, the mind model
and the scope.

First the opinion: I argue that the opinion isn't just an opinion. It is
a common baseline, expressed
by the dpa's who will enforce the legal framework. That expression is,
in the light of differences
in national implementations, not to be taken lightly. The common
baseline expresses what all dpa's
see as a reasonable and defendable position that doesn't conflict with
national laws. You can see
clearly in the case of the first party analytics, how far the consensus
went.

p. 10: "However, the Working Party considers that first party analytics
cookies are not likely to
create a privacy risk when they are strictly limited to first party
aggregated statistical purposes
and when they are used by websites that already provide clear
information about these
cookies in their privacy policy as well as adequate privacy safeguards.
Such safeguards are
expected to include a user friendly mechanism to opt-out from any data
collection and
comprehensive anonymization mechanisms that are applied to other
collected identifiable
information such as IP addresses."

This means that not all dpa's were able to see first party analytics as
functional with respect
of the national implementations.

An important function of the opinion is to give advice to the European
legislator. That is why
on the next page we included an advise.

p. 11: "In this regard, should article 5.3 of the Directive 2002/58/EC
be re-visited in the future, the
European legislator might appropriately add a third exemption criterion
to consent for cookies
that are strictly limited to first party anonymized and aggregated
statistical purposes.
First party analytics should be clearly distinguished from third party
analytics, which use a
common third party cookie to collect navigation information related to
users across distinct
websites, and which pose a substantially greater risk to privacy."

Second, the mind model applied to first-party analytics: in most
countries you wouln't
need to call for an exception. As explained above, getting first-party
analytics into the
category of functional cookies in all jurisdictions just wasn't possible.

Third, the scope: no, I am not arguing for a scope increase. Getting a
standard to Last Call
with the scope as it is, is already a difficult task. What I ask for, is
to have the usefulness
of the re-usable technical building blocks in the back of our minds
while creating a meaningful
standard. The scope is what it is.

mvg::Rob