Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Yep. Read the spec. You¡¯re 100% correct ¡© the spec says that the browser
must not ship with a default turned on, and the user must be given a choice.
So Microsoft is wrong and the spec is right. Great ¡© and the person who gets
duped is the user. Sure everyone kept to the letter of spec but NOT the
spirit of the spec, because there is NO ¡°choice mechanism¡± when the browser
is installed.

RE: Sending DNT:1 does not in anyway improve privacy.

Again I have to agree with you. But what it does do is A) Express a choice
and B) Sets an expectation.

And the last point is critical. Once I turn on ¡°Tell Web sites to Not Track¡±
I¡¯m expecting magic. I don¡¯t care one bit about 1st or 3rd parties or
anything else, what I expect is for it to all automagically happen on the
server and there should be no way for anyone to see what I¡¯ve been doing.

That¡¯s the expectation ¡© if the spec cannot meet that expectation in the
minds of the consumer then it fails. And consumers are not technical. It¡¯s
like saying what part of illegal don¡¯t you understand. Same thing applies to
tell Web sites not to track me.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone
720.663.1752