Re: ISSUE-4 and clarity regarding browser defaults

Chris -- the ideal for me would not necessarily be to bind servers to
respect non-valid signals, but rather to find a way to resolve signal
conflicts.

It's not apparent to me that the IE10 case is so clear cut (or will
remain so in light of the proposed mechanism here). If, for example, IE
wanted to retain their stance in light of the approach Shane and David
proposed, they could quite simply implement a mechanism that prompted
users to confirm their DNT-1 if it's challenged by a server in this way.
At that stage, you have a clearly expressed DNT-1 user preference, and
if a server wishes to continue ignoring that, I would argue they are
opening themselves up to liability. Even without this clarification, I
think it's ambiguous at best for a server to ignore a DNT-1 from an IE10
user after directly notifying the user their browser is sending this
signal (James' point).

So, instead of letting servers unilaterally deem a signal non-compliant,
or setting off an escalation of arms, why not simply build in a
mechanism for confirming user intention through the UA.

But again, I'm happy to defer on this point until some other elements of
the spec are resolved.

Best,
Tamir