Re: ISSUE-4 and clarity regarding browser defaults

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:55:58 -0700
Cc: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, "Grimmelmann, James" <James.Grimmelmann@nyls.edu>, Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>, Jeffrey Chester <jeff@democraticmedia.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca>

On Jul 27, 2012, at 8:18 , Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca> wrote:

> I'm ok with putting this off for now, personally.
>
> But when the issue is brought up again, please consider: instead of building capacity to let servers reject DNT-1s they don't like (and explain their rationale), why not instead build in capacity for UAs to confirm a challenged signal with the user?

Sites always have that capacity, as we know from the ones that say "This site can only be accessed using IE6." :-(.  They can re-direct you to a page that explains the problem, and (if they like) offer to carry on after you have assured them, scout's honor, that you really really mean what you say, honest, trust me.

David Singer