Re: ISSUE-4 and clarity regarding browser defaults

From: Chris Pedigo <CPedigo@online-publishers.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:32:33 +0000
To: Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca>
CC: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, "Mike Zaneis" <mike@iab.net>, Jeffrey Chester <jeff@democraticmedia.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Tamir, in response to your comment here:

"The same cannot be said about a DNT-1 signal that looks 100% valid, but is being rejected based on the fact some ad networks have decided the UA-side settings are not up to par."

I agree that parties shouldn't be able to make up reasons to reject the DNT:1 signal and still claim compliance.  In this case, however, I think we're talking about servers rejecting a signal from a UA that is clearly not compliant with the standard. Nothing is made up here. It's very clear.  In this case, I believe we should have flexibility to honor or not. Binding industry to acknowledge invalid UAs seems to be a dangerous path to go down.