Re: Mandatory Legal Process (ACTION-57, ISSUE-28)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:36:01 +0000
Cc: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>, "Amy Colando (LCA)" <acolando@microsoft.com>, Joanne Furtsch <jfurtsch@truste.com>, MeMe Rasmussen <meme@adobe.com>, Tom Lowenthal <tom@mozilla.com>, Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>

On Jan 31, 2012, at 19:22 , Shane Wiley wrote:

> Agreed  NO text seems like the appropriate path (in agreement with Amy and John).

well, the rationale was way back at the end of the thread.  it's two-fold:

a) you can send DNT, but don't forget that tracking may still happen if legally required - there is a 'legislation exception'
b) a notification of a 'legislation exception taken' will be signaled if legally possible, but under some laws, notification itself is not allowed.

we can also explain that having a *contract* that 'forces' you to track is not a valid exception...

David Singer