ISSUE-33, ACTION-59: exemptions exposed to users

From: Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:48:04 +0100
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
In Brussels there was some doubt about what ISSUE-33 ("Complexity of user choice (are exemptions exposed to users?)") meant and whether it was a duplicate. Our minutes from opening the issue at Cambridge are a bit vague, but here are my interpretations and my suggested resolution.

Per closure of ISSUE-37, we won't currently design granularity so that the user can opt-in to tracking/targeting for certain interest categories ('tracking my interests in travel is ok') or certain business practices ('anonymized research only please').

There could also be a question about what level of granularity will be exposed to the end user about responses from the tracker about exactly which exemption they fall under. This is either:
(1) a tricky user interface question for browser vendors and therefore out of scope, or
(2) a question about designing the fields of the response header and therefore covered by ISSUE-107.

In either case, I think we can close ISSUE-33 and I've moved the issue to Pending Review with this note. If you object (either because you think ISSUE-33 means something else or because you disagree with this reasoning for closing it), please reply.

Thanks,
Nick