Re: meaning of DNT 1 and DNT 0 when sent by user agents [ISSUE-78]

From: Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:18:29 -0800
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
On Jan 20, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Nicholas Doty wrote:
>>> So what, then, does the first party get?  DNT:1 if any third party is getting DNT:1, else DNT:0 if all are getting DNT:0?  An average of the DNT values :-) DNT:0.7 ??!
>>
>> The first party would get DNT 0 if an explicit exception exists.
>> That does not tell the first party which, if any, of its
>> subrequest partners might receive DNT 1 instead.  It only alerts
>> them to the potential.
>
> I think the first party's receiving DNT:1 can signal to them that other parties may be receiving DNT:1. And the first party's JavaScript can use APIs to determine which third parties are receiving that signal, if that level of detail matters to them.

Also, I should note that Shane has suggested that we could use a different value (e.g. DNT:2) to express that a user is arriving with Do Not Track enabled, but some exceptions for third parties while browsing this domain.

This question is tracked by ISSUE-111: http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/111

óNick