Third-Party Definition

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:08:14 -0500
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
I was wondering what were the definitions of third-parties at W3C, so I started to search a bit. It is used often in different contexts, but almost never defined.  In our documents, sometimes we use "third-party", sometimes "third party", it seems inconsistent.

In DNT Syntax document, Third Party site is not defined
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-tracking-dnt-20111114/

In Tracking rules document,

    A "third party" is any party, in a specific
    network interaction, that cannot infer with
    high probability that the user knowingly and
    intentionally communicated with it.
     http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html#firstThirdPartiesDefn

Which is not really what a third party is in technical terms and which is basically not testable: infer, high probability, etc.

[1]: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22third-party%22+site%3Awww.w3.org%2FTR&kl=wt-wt

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software