Re: cross-site tracking and what it means

Some clarifications below.

On Jan 18, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Shane Wiley wrote:

> David,
>
> We may be speaking past one another as I believe several other email chains highlighted consensus on the following points (I'm going to use 1st party / 3rd party language but could try to retool this as site owner and non-site owner <aka - I believe we have to define this no matter the language we use>):
>
> - 1st party: Able to ignore DNT for site specific activities
> - 1st party: When DNT:1 is present is unable to share information about that user with 3rd parties (service provider exception)

As I recall, the consensus in Santa Clara gave first parties a bit more freedom by not distinguishing between frontend and backend data sharing.  That is, what a first party may provide to a third party on the backend is coextensive with what a third party may retain/use from collection on the frontend.  The outsourcing exception is analytically independent of whether the third party collected data on the frontend or the backend.

> - 3rd party: When DNT:1 is present is unable to profile user activities on this site or leverage previously profiled information (aka - "cross site data")  [may still collect data for supported Operational Purposes]

The consensus analytical framework since at least Santa Clara has been a prohibition on all third-party information practices, followed by a series of narrowly-defined exceptions.  We have a list of candidate exceptions, and there has been some significant progress on a few of those (especially the outsourcing exception).  Working group conversations have strongly suggested a consensus that there will not be an exception for user profiling and use of a previously-generated user profile.  There is certainly not consensus for a high-level "operational purposes" exception as of yet.

Also, your use of "cross site data" here reifies the term's ambiguity.  You take it to mean something about profiling activity, which is - as I've read the thread - yet another interpretation on top of several others.

> - 3rd party as a Service Provider:  Able to ignore DNT if service is for a 1st party and 3rd party has no independent rights to use this information across sites (legal and technical protections)

There was consensus at Santa Clara that the outsourcing exception requires both legal and technical precautions.  There was not consensus about what those precautions are against, either 1) collecting data that could be correlated across first parties, or 2) commingling data across first parties.  David's draft text proposes the former rule (which de facto encapsulates the latter rule), and I am in support.

> - 1st party in a 3rd party context (Widgets):  1st party is present on a 3rd party site and would act as a 3rd party unless the user "meaningfully interacts" with a branded component which at that point they fall under 1st party rules (need to vet the use cases here in more detail but I believe the group has made good progress here)

I believe there is consensus on how the most common widget use cases should turn out.  There appeared to be consensus on the list and in calls to apply a user expectations test to borderline cases, but that consensus may no longer exist.