tracking-ISSUE-114: Guidance or mitigation of fingerprinting risk for user-agent-managed site-specific tracking exceptions [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 03:04:10 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org

tracking-ISSUE-114: Guidance or mitigation of fingerprinting risk for user-agent-managed site-specific tracking exceptions [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/114

Raised by: Nick Doty
On product: Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)

By storing a client-side configurable state and providing functionality to query it later, this functionality may enable user fingerprinting and user tracking. We should either mitigate this concern (can we provide functionality without making fingerprinting of the user easier?) or provide guidance to implementers on how to minimize this risk.

See "Fingerprinting concerns".