Re: Request for comments on priorities for DNT

1. A meaningful compliance document is essential. If we were to finalize
the DNT standard with a polished TPE but a watered down or non-existent
compliance document, then only a guise of a standard will have passed,
and users will lose as a result since they will only have
pretend-privacy. This is a worse outcome than no DNT standard at all.

2. Unique ids should not be allowed without more evidence. The issue of
collecting unique ids for DNT:1 users by third parties needs to be
discussed thoroughly. This is an essential issue at the core of
tracking. What are the exact reasons that unique ids -- unique cookies,
browser fingerprints, etc* -- ostensibly need to be collected for a
DNT:1 user? Absent strong evidence, we need to ensure a standard which
does NOT allow the collection of unique ids for DNT:1 users.

3. Defaults. We must respect user choice for DNT. Without prescriptively
specifying user agent implementations of DNT, we need to come to some
consensus on what is reasonable behavior for user agents (and publisher
exceptions) with respect to how DNT is presented to the user. I posted a
query to the list earlier about a user agent with a "forced choice"
implementation, in which there is no default but a user affirmatively
must choose a DNT setting (on, off, or unset). This could happen in a
browser, for example, as a user sets up her browser profile for the
first time. I find it hard to believe that anyone would argue against
such an implementation, but I would like to ensure consensus here so
that we can avoid later being mired in endless finger-pointing about
non-compliant user agents.

* To clarify: IP addresses and other protocol data from HTTP are NOT
considered unique ids.

--
Dan Auerbach
Staff Technologist