Re: TPE Document, S2.3 P1

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:28:14 -0700
Cc: "'Tom Lowenthal'" <tom@mozilla.com>, <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: "Jules Polonetsky" <julespol@futureofprivacy.org>
On Oct 31, 2011, at 9:56 AM, Jules Polonetsky wrote:

> Why can't apps be included as a target for this standard? Users increasingly
> will click on an icon on their phone, unaware of whether it is an app or
> html 5 or even a bookmark.  Already today, when I want to opt-out of ad
> targeting on a mobile site and ad target in an app, I need to opt-out of the
> same ad network in 2 different ways (one a click to get an opt-out cookie,
> one I need to provide my device ID to the ad network to keep it on an
> opt-out list...if the ad network provides such a choice). With the advent of
> device fingerprinting, targeting by mac address and other new identifiers
> used for app targeting, DNT for apps should be a priority.

I think that the existing text applies DNT for any app that has the effect
of browsing the user from one site to another site (i.e., cross-site tracking).
Likewise, if an HTML app uses the device's built-in browser, then it will
be subject to the browser's config.

There are many privacy concerns having to do with any use of HTTP, but I don't
think we are scoped with "all privacy over HTTP".  In particular, we don't
prevent people from installing a non-privacy-inducing app (e.g., facebook).

....Roy