Re: Issue-4

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:11:58 -0700
To: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
I don't think any statements of the form that what is sent in the protocol MUST reflect what the user said they wanted are very useful.  For a start, I don't know how I would check conformance -- how do we establish that the DNT request was always the user's intent?

"This browser is a high-privacy browser, and always sets do-not-track." "Install this proxy in your home and your whole family's privacy will be improved." and so on.

I am, however, not enthused by the idea that intermediates that I did NOT choose and over which I have no control could change my statement.

"By staying in this hotel, you agree to have your outbound HTTP requests modified to state you explicitly permit tracking." :-(

David Singer