Re: [ISSUE-81, ACTION-13] Response Header Format

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:57:16 -0700
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
To: Matthias Schunter <mts@zurich.ibm.com>

On Oct 26, 2011, at 4:02 , Matthias Schunter wrote:

> My question is:
> -  Why (= in what cases) does such a 'site-wide promise to
>    follow DNT' via a well-known location not satisfy your/our needs?

To the extent that the response is contextual:

* I believe I am the 1st party and can track you
* you've interacted with me, and so I can now track you
* you gave me (through some mechanism not visible in a DNT request-response transaction, such as visiting a web site and clicking preferences) some kind of opt-in

The user or user-agent deserves to know which clause of the privacy policy they *currently* fall into, and a static document can't tell them that.

David Singer