Re: DNT and search revenues

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:08:10 -0400
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
To: Tom Lowenthal <tom@mozilla.com>

Le 27 oct. 2011 à 15:17, Tom Lowenthal a écrit :
> I see no reason why requests from embedded search boxes should be
> different from any other request that the browser sends. If the user has
> checked the "tell sites that I do not want to be tracked" box, and then
> they use the browser's search box, DNT:1 should be sent with that
> request just like any other.

I tend to agree. I wanted to know if people were seeing different cases.
And that said, the issue is a bit larger than just the browser. There are plenty of Web clients using the HTTP stack which are not necessary browser (think about feed aggregators, social network native clients, etc.)

We have to be careful in the vocabulary of specifications that the browser is one possible Web user agents among others.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/