Re: DNT and search revenues

From: Tom Lowenthal <tom@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:17:36 -0700
To: public-tracking@w3.org
I see no reason why requests from embedded search boxes should be
different from any other request that the browser sends. If the user has
checked the "tell sites that I do not want to be tracked" box, and then
they use the browser's search box, DNT:1 should be sent with that
request just like any other.

However, I do think that this is an out-of scope UX issue. We have
search boxes today, but that might change as the market evolves and user
needs develop. I think we should just let the browsers be responsible
for knowing when to send DNT, and be done with it.