Re: tracking-ISSUE-93: Should 1st parties be able to degrade a user experience or charge money for content based on DNT? [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

Mike,

Thank you so much for all of the clarifications here. On the academic side, researchers have not understood what this 80% figure means. Perhaps that has been true in other contexts too. If there is any possibility of getting a list of the actual questions asked in the survey, I am sure there is general interest beyond this mailing list.

My remaining question is not about methods but about the population surveyed. Advertisers, yes, that's useful to know. How were they selected? For example, was the survey taken with customers who buy ads from IAB member companies?

If so, it is a wonder the figure was as low as 80%.

Thanks very much for clearing this up. It has been a point of great confusion. I know of at least one research paper where the authors thought 80% of ads are behaviorally targeted, while I have not seen or heard anything even as high as 10%. I think the 80% figure took on a life of its own without the accompanying understanding of what it does, and does not, mean. Providing sufficient context around research results is challenging (...ask me how I know...) but absolutely essential. Thanks for helping us understand.

	Aleecia