RE: tracking-ISSUE-93: Should 1st parties be able to degrade a user experience or charge money for content based on DNT? [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

From: Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:09:57 +0000
To: JC Cannon <jccannon@microsoft.com>, Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
I agree with JC.  Some companies already block users from their sites who use ad blocking technologies because it fundamentally impairs their ability to monetize their content.  If we use a broad definition of tracking, similar to the FTC's definition, then we will be potentially impacting over 80% of the online ad market.  Publishers and content owners have every right, in fact have fundamental rights, to offer their goods and services as they see fit.

Mike Zaneis
SVP & General Counsel
Interactive Advertising Bureau
(202) 253-1466