Call for Experts: How can a site determine whether it is 1st or 3rd party?

From: Matthias Schunter <mts@zurich.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:55:40 +0200
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi Team,

during our F2F we agreed that we need a way for a site to determine
whether it is acting as 1st or 3rd party.

I'd like to form a sub-team of experts to design proposals how this
can be achieved and/or identify technical limitations.

Working Definition (may be refined by the sub-group):
- 1st party: The site that the user visits directly (e.g. by
    typing the URL)
- associated parties: Other sites (with different URLs) that may
    be exempted. E.g. co-branded sites such as
      lotus.com that belongings to IBM (and may be run on
      same or different infrastructure)
- 3rd parties: All other sites

Challenge:
- How can a site tell in what category it is (wrt a request).

If you are interested to join the group, drop me a line.
Note that the goal is just to prepare proposals that will then be
discussed in a larger group.

Regards,
 matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Schunter, MBA
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory,  Ph. +41 (44) 724-8329