Re: ISSUE-5: What is the definition of tracking?

On Oct 12, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> The Working Group cannot define "tracking" without additional modifiers
> in a manner that is inconsistent with typical english usage. "This user
> arrived on this page and then moved on to that page" is a statement that
> cannot be made if the user's movements around the site are not tracked.

While I will join in mourning the geekification of English, I think the idea that "tracking" (and, more usefully as Roy offers, DNT) does not match a dictionary definition seems not to pose a problem. Between words like cookies, spam, the web, and private browsing not actually being private, I think computer jargon is well established.

I am trying to hear from folks who thinking tracking is something other than data flowing between two sites. On calls and in Boston I had the impression there are such views in the group. But if all is silence, perhaps I was mistaken, or perhaps they have been persuaded otherwise.

	Aleecia