tracking-ISSUE-90 (caching): Interaction of DNT with caching and intermediaries [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:42:17 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org

tracking-ISSUE-90 (caching): Interaction of DNT with caching and intermediaries [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/90

Raised by: Roy Fielding
On product: Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)

One not-yet-an-issue that I'd like to bring up during the meeting
is how DNT interacts with intermediaries and shared caches.
For example, if the server's response must contain or be specific
to that client's DNT value, then the response will not be reusable
by shared caches.  To minimize the damage, we should restrict
the server's response header field, if any, to the resources that
are already designed not to be cached (e.g., custom content and
advertising placements).

Overall, the goal should be to design DNT in a caching friendly way.