Re: FW: Issue-95: User Setting DNT Response (Draft)

* Shane Wiley wrote:
>Here is a draft for Issue-95 (http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/95):
>
>"Generally, the setting and/or unsetting of a Do Not Track signal SHOULD
>only be established by a user proactively.  Intermediaries to an HTTP/S
>request SHOULD NOT attempt to modify the DNT signal in any way.  There
>are limited situations where it MAY be appropriate for an intermediary
>to modify a user's DNT settings on their behalf such as through employer
>networks or public networks (libraries, for example).  But, care should
>be taken even in these cases to limit the scope of modification as much
>as possible to decrease the possible impact to a user's web surfing
>experience as overriding DNT signals could disrupt content consumption
>through user granted site-specific exceptions.  NOTE - it is understood
>this particular compliance standard cannot be technically enforced but
>it should be clear to all web ecosystem participants what the standard
>baseline is in this matter."

So, if you use some webshop and click "No, I don't want to buy this", it
is rather unclear whether you don't actually mean "Yes, please send this
to me and I will pay for it", and we would need a specification to make
sure intermediaries don't rewrite "no" into "yes"?